Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Oil Pulling

Surprise!  There is a home remedy out there I have never heard of.  Of course people will always discover new things, but this practice is supposedly ancient.  Okay so enough mumbo jumbo - let's get to it.

The stuff it claims to help or cure:
Oil Pulling has been said to totally heal headaches, sinus infections, bronchitis, asthma, tooth pain, thrombosis, eczema, joint pain and flexibility, ulcers and diseases of stomach, intestines, heart, blood, kidney, liver, lungs, diseases of nerves, paralysis, and encephalitis and prevents the growth of malignant tumors, chronic insomnia, and also raises the metabolism.

So how is it done?

Take a tablespoon (some sites say 2 tbsp) of sunflower, sesame, or olive oil and swish it around your mouth for 20 minutes.  This must be done in the morning before eating and some say to do it after you brush your teeth (I did it before).  As for the type of oil - some sites claim that it only works if you use sunflower and sesame oil and others say there are benefits using olive and coconut oils - but all should be cold pressed and organic.  Do some research before you attempt.  If you do try it - do not swallow any of it and wash wherever you spit with antibacterial soap as this is supposed to pull germs from your body and your sink could quickly become a nasty breeding ground.  Others have mentioned the possibility of certain oils solidifying in your sink.  If your're concerned about this, my suggestion would be to use a coffee can or some other container, spit into it and throw the container away.  I don't think you would want to keep this around for long, so switching out containers frequently is probably a good idea.

My experience:
I only had olive oil in the pantry and I swished two tablespoons.  Next time, I'm trying one tablespoon since my jaws got tired swishing that much liquid around as saliva begins mixing with the oil.  Yes it was somewhat gross.  After I swished for 15 minutes, I spit.  The oil had turned into a frothy white-ish yellow. 

I felt really amazing for the first few hours after I did this. Highly energetic.  Placebo effect - perhaps, which is why I won't say it works right now - just that I will continue to try it.  I still feel good, just calm, but feel much happier and able to keep up with daily chores better than usual. 
My wrist has been hurting due to a ganglion cyst which is why I have not been typing blogs lately.  It's just a little sore now and I actually have to bend it for it to hurt - before if I moved my fingers, bent, or put the least bit of pressure on my wrist, hand, or elbow it was very painful.  My teeth look brighter.  My breath is fresher.  I did cough up and while I do have asthma, I was not having a flare up and do not have a sinus infection.

Again - we'll see if this continues as it is recommended to do this for 40 to 50 days straight and then as you please.  As long as there are no side effects for you - it almost seems dumb not to try it.  If it does nothing else, it will help freshen breath and help get rid of gum disease.  However, watch for allergic reactions to the oil/s and as always check with a medical professional and do not take this as a cure-all if you have a serious ailment.  Also keep in mind - as with cleanses - when you 'pull' germs and toxins, you can actually get sick as some of these things have been inside your body lying dormant and then get rustled up.  Please visit the sites below before attempting.

There is an entire website devoted to this practice:  www.oilpulling.com/ but I enjoyed the reviews and organization of  http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html

I'll write more about this little oil pulling adventure tomorrow. 

Scrumptious Love,
E.N. Graham



Image: africa / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment